I am sure almost all families with kids already had gone or going to strawberry picking. We also go strawberry picking every year and we really enjoy it. Especially, it is joyful seeing my older one’s excitement every time he sees juicy red ripped strawberries under the leaves. He LOVESSS strawberries. Usually, we pick up to 10 pounds. ( I know it is a lot for 3 people).
Since it is organic, if I don’t take care of them at the same day of picking, they get spoiled. That’s why, as soon as we get home I will start sorting them for 3 sorts. The first one will be well ripped and got squashed a bit. It is usually under the boxes. I do jam from them.
The second sort will be for keeping in the freezer. It also well ripped but no any damage. I cut of the bottom and soak them in apple cider vinegar water ( 0.5 cup 5% apple cider vinegar / 1 gallon water) for about 5 min. Then I put them on paper towel to get dried. After that I put them in ziplock ( freezer bag) and straight to the freezer. I use them for pies, ice cream and smoothies.
The third sort will be for eating. These I also wash with vinegar water, well dried and keep it in refrigerator. It will be good up to 1 week.
Let’s start with making a strawberry jam.
- 1 bowl strawberries
- 0.5 cup of sugar
- 1 cup of tap water
- 2 oz lemon juice
- Mason jar
- Well wash the strawberries and cut them in cube shape
- Add all the ingredients in the pot
- Put in high heat until it boils then keep in middle heat for 1 hr or till you see bubble on top. ( please watch the video for exact appearance)
- Turn off the heat and let it cool down
- Put in mason jar or glass jar
- Store in refrigerator for up to 6 month
- If you want more loose add 2 cups of water.
- To check if it is ready: in cold tap water drop some jam, if it forms little circle in the bottom of your dish, it means it is ready.
- Let the jam get cool down in the pot. Don’t try to lick it. It will be very hot.
Are you craving for something sweet? But it is too late to bake or even go out to buy? Don’t worry here I come to rescue you lol. This recipe I am giving you is very easy . It only takes you 10 minutes to make. No baking. Only need 3 ingredients.
- Dulce de leche half cane Here or you can find at your local store
- 4 oz butter softened
- Wafer sheets Here
- Mix well with mixer the dulce de leche with butter.
- Spread the cream evenly and lightly to each wafer sheets
3. Decorate as you want
4. Keep in refrigerator for 1 hour
5. Ready to eat
Do you think your breastmilk is not enough and your baby fusses more than usual? If you have that instinct, take an action. Some people or doctors might said “don’t worry about it” ( which is their favorite word). But you are right. You know your baby better than anyone else. You are the one who stands next to him/her more than anyone else does.
Unfortunately, majority moms struggle how to increase milk supply. And end up adding formula which will cause more problem. Having both breastmilk and formula may cause fussiness in some babies. More than that, some kids will develop eczema, colic, constipation or diarrhea.
From my experience ideally babies need to be fully breastfeed until 3-4 month at least. During that time their tiny gastrointestinal system will develop and gets little stronger. Besides they get immunity from mother’s milk . And will be strong enough to fight of infections.
So how we can increase milk flow natural way? I dig some info about it when I was pregnant to our second boy. It showed that brewers yeast, flax seed, oatmeal and peanuts boost up milk supply. And I also found a great cookie recipe that can be used based on the ingreadients above.
- 0.5 cup flour
- 0.5 cup oatmeal ( still cut or instant)
- 0.5 cup sugar( you can put least if you add chocolate chips)
- 4 oz softened butter
- 2 tbs bio yogurt
- 1 tsp brewer’s yeast
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 0.5 tsp cinnamon
- Chocolate chips for your preference
- Mix the dry ingredients in one bowl; oatmeal, flour, sugar, brewers yeast
2. In other bowl whisk the egg with baking powder add 2 tbsp bio yogurt . Mix it well
3. Add the egg solution to dry ingredients and add the butter.
4. Mix them all together.
5. Add the chocolate chips.
6. Neat it well.
7. Keep in the refrigerator for 20 minutes. 8. Preheat the oven for 320* degrees.
9. Make small balls and list on parchment paper on the pan
10. Bake in 320* degrees for 15-20 minutes
- You might taste little bittery because of brewers yeast. That’s why I suggest you to add some fruits or chocolate chips to mask the bitterness.
- If the dough looks more dry after sitting a side you can add 2-3 tbsp water. The oats retain fluid and may cause the dryness.
- Also I like to add half/half flour/oats because oatmeal also helps to make more milk, but if you don’t like more oats you can add least than 0.5 cups
- You can store them in air tight container at 60-70* degrees or simply at room temperature. Trust me it does help to produce more milk .
I never heard of making a cake from cheese, in my country. Once we came to states, some of our friends suggested to try cheese cake. Believe me or not we didn’t try it until a year after. I was afraid if we don’t like it and it will be a waste. And I don’t like throwing foods to garbage. So I forgot about it.
After year or so, one of our friend did a birthday party and they served a cheese cake. I got tiny slice, just to make sure I could finish it. Oh boy, what a taste. I fall in love with it. So good, so unique and different from what I ever ate before. Ever since, once in a while, I bake or we get cheese cake assortment from Carlos Bakery. But recently, after I opened my blog I thought baking cheese cake not using cream cheese but with my signature cottage cheese. In the beginning I was little nervous . I was afraid to ruin it . So, I decided to put the kids to bed and try it at night.
Usually, if I want to create something new I do it at midnight. That time I get more great ideas. I guess mind angels get down to earth lol. Anyways, kids I put them to sleep and turn on my mind get to work.
I prepared my ingredients. And of course set up my camera .
- 2 cups of flour
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 4 oz softened butter
- 1 egg
- 8 oz cottage cheese
- 2 eggs
- 0.5 cup sugar
- 1 tsp corn starch
- 2-3 tbp sour cream
- 10-15 blueberries
- In the bowl mix 2 cups of flour, 0.5 cup sugar,1 tsp baking powder, 4 oz softened butter and 1 egg. Mix and neat a dough
- Keep the dough in refrigerator for 20 min.
In the bowl add 8 oz cottage cheese, 2 eggs, 1 tsp corn starch, 0.5 cup sugar and 2-3 tbp sour cream. Mix them well
- Roll the dough and fit in the pan.
- Pour the filling half
- Add blueberries and pour rest of the filling in.
- Bake in 250* heat for 1 hour
- If you buy cottage cheese store brand look at the consistency , if it is softer add only 1 tbsp sour cream
- You can add any fruits. If the fruit juicy you can coat it with corn starch so cake doesn’t get loose.
Watch the video for details
Our second son Yusuf just turned to 11 month. We started finger foods when he was 8 month. But, I waited to give him any milk products till he turned to 10 month . I started giving him frozen yogurt drops. I would say frozen yogurt teddies 😄 .
It is very easy only 2 steps. Also frozen yogurt soothes swollen gums from teething. Our little one loves it, in first try
- Any brand bio yogurt (or you can make one)
- Any brand Baby fruit puree (or you can make one)
- Mix the yogurt and fruit purée (I used blueberries and apple purée )
- Put in the zip log and keep in the refregirator for 15 minutes just to harden little bit
- Cut the tip of the bag and squeeze little drops to parchment paper
Or to the silicone molds
5. Put in the freezer for 1 hour
6. Take it out from mold/ parchment paper Keep in the container in the freezer
When you want to give it to your child take small amount at a time to prevent melting.